Bogota, NJ Car Accident Attorney
Getting into a car accident can lead to serious physical injuries and related costs. It can also cause great emotional and psychological trauma. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash in Bergen County, contact the Bogota car accident attorneys at the New Jersey law firm of the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. We are available 24/7 to help you understand and defend your legal rights.
Why Choose Us?
- We are committed attorneys with a proven history of results. We get the outcomes our clients need, even if that means going to trial.
- Our car accident lawyers will tailor their services for your unique case. We provide a personalized legal experience.
- We accept all car accident cases in Bogota on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only charge for our services if we obtain financial compensation for the client.
Time Limit to File a Claim
You must act quickly to take legal action for a car accident in New Jersey. State law imposes a time limit on the right to file, known as a statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is two years from the date of the car accident. You may have more or less time to file, however, if your situation counts as an exception. If you don’t discover your injuries until after the car accident, for example, the clock does not start ticking until the date of injury discovery.
If you wait too long and your statute of limitations runs out, you will most likely forfeit the right to recover. The courts in New Jersey take this rule seriously and will refuse to hear most cases brought later than the deadline. This is why it is important to speak to a Bogota car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
How Much Is a Car Accident Claim Worth?
There is no one answer to this question. Each claim is unique. The value of your car accident case will depend on many different factors, such as your specific injury diagnosis and the seriousness of your injuries. An injury that is disabling, for instance, can be worth more, as it will cost the victim more in medical care and intangible losses.
You may be able to seek financial recovery for your hospital bills, vehicle repairs, lost income, lost quality of life, pain and suffering, and more. There is a cap, however, on the amount of financial compensation you can receive for punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded in some cases to punish the defendant. In New Jersey, no plaintiff can receive more than $350,000 or five times the amount of compensatory damages in punitive damages.
What to Do After an Accident in New Jersey
- Pull over in a safe location. Do not drive away, as you could face criminal charges for a hit-and-run. If you can, turn on your emergency lights.
- Make sure everyone is safe. If you notice that anyone is injured, call 911 and ask for an ambulance. Even if the crash is minor, you can call the police to obtain a police report.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Write down details about the accident, such as the other driver’s name, a description of the vehicle, the date, time and location. Take photographs of the scene of the crash, as well, if possible.
- Never admit that you were doing something wrong or caused the accident. Until you’ve been to a hospital, do not say that you don’t have any injuries, either. You may have injuries with delayed symptoms.
- Contact a lawyer. As soon as possible, speak with a car accident attorney to discuss if you have a valid personal injury claim and will be able to recover compensation from the at-fault party.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Bogota, New Jersey Today
The next step is to contact a car accident attorney in Bogota for a free legal consultation. An attorney can review your case to let you know if you have grounds for a third-party lawsuit. A lawyer can represent your best interests during negotiations with a car insurance company to improve your odds of a successful claim. For more information about how a car accident lawyer can help, contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. Call (201) 928-0300 today.