New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyer
After a serious injury, you need a legal team with the experience and knowledge to protect your legal rights while ensuring you receive fair and just compensation. If you or a loved one have been injured as a result of the negligence of another, the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. can help. Our New Jersey personal injury lawyers will provide you with the individualized attention you deserve while aggressively pursuing your personal injury claim.
The Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., offers our clients skilled legal representation with:
- More than ninety years of combined legal experience;
- A track record of successful settlements and verdicts in personal injury cases; and
- State and national recognition for legal excellence.
Contact our law firm online or call us at (201) 928-0300 to schedule a confidential consultation. There is no charge for your initial appointment, and at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., there are no legal fees unless we win your claim.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney in New Jersey
At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., our first priority is you. Having personalized legal representation allows you to focus on your health and well-being while your attorney concentrates on your legal claim. The personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., will promptly address your legal questions and concerns, keep you advised of any updates in your case, and do the following:
- Analyze and calculate all of your medical, financial, and personal losses;
- Determine liability for your accident;
- Pursue all sources of compensation for your injuries;
- Handle all insurance company correspondence on your behalf;
- Hire and consult with any necessary medical or accident experts;
- Negotiate and settle your accident claim; or
- If necessary, proceed towards trial.
There are no out-of-pocket costs or expenses when you retain the professionals at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. Let us use our knowledge and resources to fight for you and your recovery. Call or contact Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C.; our New Jersey personal injury attorneys look forward to serving you.
What is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury occurs when one person suffers harm due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person or company. Usually, victims file personal injury claims against a wrongdoer’s insurance company. Insurance companies have teams of adjusters and attorneys working on their behalf to keep victim compensation minimal.
The most common personal injury claims in New Jersey arise from:
- Car accidents;
- Truck accidents;
- Motorcycle accidents;
- Bus accidents;
- Slip and fall accidents;
- Medical malpractice; and
- Wrongful death.
It is mandatory to file most personal injury claims in New Jersey within two years of the injury date. Therefore, it is crucial to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident to avoid missing any filing deadlines.
Do I Have a Valid Personal Injury Case?
Determining whether or not you have grounds to file a personal injury claim after an accident in New Jersey typically requires an in-depth review of the facts of your case. If your case is based on negligence, you will need to prove that the defendant was careless or reckless and that this caused your injuries.
Negligence in a personal injury claim consists of four elements:
- The duty to exercise reasonable care. A legal obligation to act in a way that a prudent party would in the same or similar circumstances.
- Breach of duty. Any action or failure to act that falls short of the defendant’s duty of care.
- Actual damages suffered. To have grounds for a claim, you must have suffered injuries or another type of harm in the accident.
- There must be proof that the defendant’s breach of the duty of care is what caused or substantially contributed to your injuries.
The burden of proof in a personal injury case is a preponderance of the evidence, or clear and convincing evidence to establish that your allegations are more likely to be true than not true. The strength of your personal injury will depend on the amount of evidence you or your lawyer can gather against the defendant.
Steps to Take After an Accident
There are things you can do in the aftermath of an accident in New Jersey that may help you recover physically, emotionally and financially. Always prioritize your health and safety first. Take these steps to begin building a personal injury claim:
- Make sure you are safe. If you were in a car accident, for example, pull your car to the side of the road in a safe location.
- Check yourself for injuries. Perform a check for any pain, tingling, numbness or other signs of injuries. Check anyone else involved in the accident for injuries, as well.
- Report the accident. Tell someone about your accident and injuries. This may be the police, a store manager, your employer or another party, depending on the circumstances.
- Collect information. If you can, gather evidence and information before you leave the scene. Take photographs of the scene of the accident and write down eyewitness data.
- Get medical help. Explain what happened to your doctor and request copies of your medical records.
- Call your insurance company. Initiate the claims process by reporting the incident to your insurance company.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. Consult with a personal injury lawyer before proceeding any further with your case. A lawyer can ensure the protection of your legal rights.
If you get involved in an accident in New Jersey that leaves you injured, overwhelmed and confused about your rights, try to remain calm and remember that help is available. A personal injury lawyer can guide you through all of these steps after an accident and take over difficult legal tasks for you.
Mistakes to Avoid in a Personal Injury Claim
Just as there are things you should do after a personal injury accident in New Jersey, there are also things you should not do. Avoid these common mistakes to help strengthen your injury claim:
- Admitting fault for the accident
- Delaying medical care
- Ignoring your doctor’s advice
- Failing to document your injuries
- Giving the insurance company a recorded statement
- Posting about your accident on social media
- Missing your deadline to file a claim
- Accepting the very first settlement offer
- Failing to hire an experienced personal injury attorney
A personal injury attorney can help you avoid all of these mistakes during the legal process. If you do encounter challenges during your injury claim, your lawyer will do his or her best to overcome them.
Compensation for Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury law permits victims of personal injury accidents to recover monetary compensation for any property damages or physical injuries they suffer. Compensation for personal injury claims depends on the type of accident, the severity of the victim’s injuries, and the victim’s prognosis recovery. The amount of compensation should include current and future accident-related expenses.
Common categories of compensation are the following:
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Lost income;
- Property damages;
- Loss of quality of life;
- Mental and emotional trauma;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Wrongful death
Most personal injury claims settle outside of court. However, never accept a settlement offer by phone or sign any insurance company documents without first speaking to an experienced New Jersey personal injury lawyer. You could sign away your right to further compensation.
The personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., can review your current settlement offer to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Or, we will file a new personal injury claim on your behalf. Our firm believes in service and commitment to excellence; contact us today to find out how we can make the difference in your personal injury case.