Personal Injury Attorneys in New Jersey

Injured in an Accident? Let Our Firm Fight for You!

Accidents happen every day and when they do, they often result in serious injury and personal harm. Even the most cautious of individuals are not immune from unexpected accidents. When another person acts negligently and you are injured as a result, you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences on your own. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., our personal injury attorneys can fight for your rights in Teaneck, Union City, and all of New Jersey.

Whether you were injured in a car accident, bitten by a dog, slipped and fell on someone else's property, or were a victim of medical malpractice, we will fight to recover the maximum compensation you are owed. Our team has helped numerous individuals recover fair settlements to help cover the cost of their damages; find out what we can do for you.

Speak to one of our personal injury attorneys in New Jersey today; call the firm at (201) 254-8484 to get started.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

The state of New Jersey has a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases. This means that you have two years from the date of your injury to file a claim or you will lose your right to compensation. If you are filing a claim against a state government worker or agency you must do so within 90 days of your accident. There are a few exceptions to these rules depending on your specific situation.

Additionally, New Jersey follows a "modified comparative negligence rule." This means that even if you are partially at fault for the accident that led to your injuries you can still pursue compensation, as long as you are found to be less than fifty-one percent at fault. In this situation, whatever amount of blame you are determined to have will be reduced from your total compensation amount. For example, if you were injured in a car accident and found to be fifteen percent at fault for the accident, whatever compensation you are rewarded will be reduced by fifteen percent.

Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?

If you were recently injured or had a loved one die in an accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation to assist with unforeseen damages related to the accident. In order to determine if you have a personal injury case, your attorney will first look at who was at fault for the accident. If another person's negligent behavior, or the careless or unlawful actions of a manufacturer, company, or other entity was the cause of the accident, you may have a case. While financial compensation cannot negate the pain and suffering caused by an unexpected injury or death of a loved one, it can often help ease the financial burden you are likely facing.

Generally, there are two main types of damages available in a personal injury case economic and non-economic. Both these types of damages are categorized as “compensatory damages”. Economic damages, also called special damages, compensate for quantifiable losses as a result of an injury such as medical bills or missed days at work. Non-economic damages, sometimes called general damages, compensate for more abstract losses such as pain and suffering or loss of companionship.

In some cases, punitive damages can be awarded. Unlike compensatory damages which seek to compensate the injured for a loss, punitive damages seek to punish the negligent party. Typically, this type of damage is not usually awarded and is reserved for cases where a negligent party was aware their actions would lead to harm and did so intentionally. According to the New Jersey Revised Statutes section, 2A:15-5.14 punitive damages are limited or capped, at five times the amount of compensatory damages or $350, 000 whichever is the greater amount.

Common damages associated with accidents and injuries include:

  • Hospital and ambulance fees/medical bills
  • Costs for ongoing physical and cognitive therapy
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering
  • Lost wages due to temporary or permanent disability
  • Loss of a loved one/loss of support
  • Burial expenses, including funeral/cremation costs

Often, insurance companies deny or devalue just claims. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we can help you fight back.

Contact Our Firm Today for the Strong Representation You Deserve

If you or a loved one suffered injuries as a result of someone else's negligence, you don't have to suffer alone. Our team of dedicated personal injury attorneys in Teaneck and Union City are prepared to stand up to insurance companies on your behalf. We work tirelessly in our pursuit of a fair settlement and will even represent you in the courtroom whenever necessary. No matter how complex your unique situation may be, we're ready to fight for you.

Find the legal assistance you need—in English or Spanish— at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. Call (201) 254-8484 today.

Receive a Free Consultation from Our Firm

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side