How to Choose Your Personal Injury Lawyer
The decision of which personal injury lawyer to hire is one that you should not make lightly. The skill and ability of your attorney can drastically affect the outcome of your case. You should feel confident and comfortable with the attorney you choose to work with. Use the following tips to find the right personal injury lawyer for you.
Do Your Research
Start by asking around for referrals. Find out if anyone you know has had to hire a personal injury lawyer recently and whether they had a positive experience. Referrals from friends, family members and coworkers can lead you to a great option in your area. Otherwise, begin your search online. You can conduct a simple Google search for “personal injury lawyer near me” and view some top options.
Check to make sure the attorneys you are looking at have been admitted to practice in New Jersey by using the New Jersey Courts’ search tool. It is important to find a lawyer that is in your local region. You may see commercials and billboards for national law firms, but finding a local lawyer can ensure that your legal representative understands the laws in your location. It can also make it easier to meet with your attorney to discuss your case.
Look for Experience and Results
Narrow down your options by perusing the websites of top choices in your city. You should be looking for signs that the attorney is a good fit for your case, such as:
- Years of experience handling personal injury claims.
- Services offered in your specific practice area or type of accident.
- Experience with your type of injury.
- A history of successful case results.
- Attention to detail and personalized legal services.
- Attorneys handling cases, not paralegals or assistants.
- Trial lawyers who can take cases to court, if necessary.
- Affordable and transparent legal fees.
- Positive client testimonials and law firm reviews.
- Legal resources to put toward building your claim.
Overall, the attorney’s experience and services should make you feel confident in his or her ability to successfully handle your personal injury claim.
Once you have narrowed down your choices to two or three top options, schedule free case consultations with each attorney to learn more. Most personal injury lawyers offer free initial reviews with potential clients at no obligation to hire them. Use the free consultation to ask questions that can help you learn more about your case and find out if the attorney is the right fit for you. Questions to ask include:
- How much experience do you have with my type of case?
- Who will work on my case?
- Do you have time to take my case right now?
- How often will I be able to communicate with my attorney?
- Do you have the ability to take my case to trial?
- How long do you think my case will take?
- How much do your services cost?
The free consultation is also a chance for the attorney to determine if your case is the right fit for the law firm. If an attorney passes on your case, know that it is for the best. Lawyers know when they are and are not the best fit for a case. Ask the attorney if he or she has any referrals to other law firms that can help you.
Trust Your Instincts
Do not make up your mind about an attorney until you’ve met in person, discussed your case and decided that you feel comfortable enough to move forward. Pay attention to how the attorney makes you feel. Do you feel seen, heard and believed? Do you think the attorney will fight to achieve the best possible results for your case? If so, he or she could be the right personal injury lawyer for you.
When you’re ready to schedule a free consultation with an attorney at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. to learn more, contact us at (201) 928-0300.