Newark Rideshare Accident Lawyer
Using rideshare to get around Newark can be convenient, but it is not always safe for passengers or others on the road. The top two rideshare companies today, Uber and Lyft, are known for their lax driver hiring procedures. They are also notorious for disputing liability for rideshare accidents – making it difficult for victims to recover compensation.
If you’ve been involved in a rideshare accident in Newark, contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. for assistance. Our automobile accident attorneys know how these unique cases work. We can be there for you through every step of the legal process. Request your free case evaluation today.
Why Choose Us?
- Our attorneys have more than 90 years of combined legal experience. Our lead attorney, Jeffrey S. Hasson, is a trusted source of legal representation in Newark.
- We offer personalized services to each client. You will benefit from one-on-one care and attention from your rideshare accident attorney every step of the way.
- Our rideshare accident lawyers in Newark operate on a contingency fee basis. This means you will only pay your lawyer if we secure financial compensation for you.
Why You Need a Newark Rideshare Accident Lawyer
A rideshare accident case in New Jersey can be complicated. There are elements that do not exist in a standard car accident case, such as the potential liability of the rideshare company and special insurance coverage. An attorney can help you navigate your claim and take all of the proper steps toward a resolution. This includes taking over negotiations with an insurance corporation to argue for maximum financial compensation, investigating your Uber or Lyft accident, collecting evidence of fault, filing complicated legal paperwork, hiring experts, and many other steps to complete your claim.
Common Causes of Uber and Lyft Accidents
Determining the cause of your accident is a large part of seeking compensation after a rideshare crash in Newark. You or your car accident attorney will need to figure out who or what caused the crash. From there, you can file your injury claim against the correct party or parties. Despite being responsible for the lives of passengers, rideshare drivers are often guilty of the same negligent, careless and reckless acts as other drivers. The most common causes of rideshare accidents are:
- Distracted driving
- Texting or cell phone use
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving under the influence
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Tailgating or driving aggressively
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Ignoring red lights or stop signs
- Violating traffic laws
- Unsafe or poorly maintained vehicle
If an Uber or Lyft driver is responsible for your crash in Newark, you may be eligible for compensation from the individual driver or rideshare company. Our attorneys can thoroughly investigate your case to help you understand your options for holding someone liable. We can also help you navigate the unique liability issues involved in a rideshare accident claim.
Who Is Liable for a Rideshare Accident in New Jersey?
After a typical car accident, New Jersey uses a “choice” no-fault law to determine who will pay. With this rule, drivers can either purchase personal injury protection (PIP) insurance to cover their own losses after a crash or opt out of the no-fault rule and hold the at-fault party responsible. If a crash involves a rideshare driver, the claims process is even more complex. Many liable parties could be named in a rideshare accident case, including:
- The rideshare driver
- The rideshare company
- Other drivers
- Bicyclists or pedestrians
- The government
- A vehicle manufacturer
- A maintenance technician
If an investigation finds that the rideshare driver is responsible for causing an accident, his or her personal automobile insurance policy could pay for your losses. However, Uber and Lyft also carry special insurance to pay for injuries caused by their drivers, as well as to cover rideshare passengers (regardless of who caused the crash). Finally, a third party could be financially responsible if it caused or contributed to the accident, such as the government for a road defect or a driver outside of the rideshare vehicle.
Uber and Lyft’s Insurance Policies
Uber and Lyft both provide insurance with coverage of up to $1 million for accident victims. The amount of insurance available, however, changes based on the phase or period of the ride. Here’s an overview of how rideshare insurance works:
- Phase 1: when a rideshare driver is logged into the app and waiting to pick up a passenger, Uber/Lyft insurance pays up to $100,000 for bodily injuries and $25,000 for property damage.
- Phase 2: when a driver has received a ride request and is en route to pick up the passenger, up to $1 million is available for accident-related injuries.
- Phase 3: when a driver has picked up a passenger, up to $1 million in liability coverage is available.
In addition, Uber and Lyft require their drivers to carry personal automobile insurance coverage that could pay for an accident caused by the driver. Determining which insurance company to contact may require help from an attorney.
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident in Newark
You should take the following steps if you get involved in a rideshare accident in Newark, New Jersey to protect your rights:
- Try to stay calm and check yourself and others involved in the crash for injuries.
- Report the crash to the police, or make sure the rideshare driver does so.
- Do not admit fault for the car accident to the cops.
- Write down information about the accident, including details about your ride.
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident before you leave.
- If there are any eyewitnesses, get their names and phone numbers.
- Go to a hospital for immediate treatment if you have been injured.
- Report your accident to Uber or Lyft through the app or their customer service line.
- Keep copies of your medical records, the police report and other relevant documents.
- Contact an attorney before accepting a settlement from an insurance company.
Contacting a rideshare accident lawyer can make it easier to proceed with the rest of the claims process, whether you have an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact a Newark Rideshare Accident Lawyer Today
You have rights as an injured victim after a rideshare accident in Newark. The rideshare company, rideshare driver or a third party may be financially responsible for your injuries, medical bills and property repairs. Contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. to learn more about a potential case during a free consultation with one of our attorneys. Call (201) 928-0300 to reach us today.