Jersey City Personal Injury Lawyer
When a serious personal injury impacts your life, you can place your confidence in the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. Our Jersey City personal injury lawyers will focus on holding any negligent parties responsible for your losses while you concentrate on your health and well-being.
At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we understand the unexpected hardships victims of personal injury accidents face. Our law firm can relieve you of the added burden and stress of pursuing your own legal claim.
The injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., will meet with you at no cost, listen to the facts of your case, and provide you with valuable legal advice. Our team has:
- More than ninety years of combined legal experience;
- Local and national recognition for excellence; and
- A track record of success pursuing compensation for our clients.
Call us now to schedule your complimentary consultation. The Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. will aggressively represent your interests and help you navigate the legal claims process.
Jersey City Injury Resources
- What is a Personal Injury Claim?
- Personal Injury Compensation
- Types of Personal Injury Accidents and Time Limit for Filing a Claim
- What Damages Can Be Awarded to Injured Victims in Jersey City?
- How Much Is My Personal Injury Case in New Jersey Worth?
- What Is the Statute of Limitations to File a Personal Injury Claim in New Jersey?
- Contact Us
Our Jersey City Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help
The Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. are a client-focused law firm. This means we handle your personal injury claim with you and your goals in mind. Our personal injury attorneys respond promptly to your questions and concerns and make sure you understand the personal injury claims process.
From start to finish, we prepare the strongest personal injury claim possible on your behalf while managing all insurance company correspondence and keeping you up-to-date on your claim’s progress. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we are your advocates and your warriors, acting at all times in your best interests.
We do the following and more to build your case:
- Document and calculate all of your losses;
- Assess a fair value for your claim;
- File insurance and court documents on time;
- Investigate your accident and gather relevant evidence;
- Determine liability for your accident;
- Interview witnesses;
- Negotiate a settlement; or
- Pursue your case at trial.
Do not allow valuable evidence to fade by putting off your claim. Call the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only collect fees when we win compensation for you.
What is a Personal Injury Claim?
A personal injury claim reimburses an accident victim for injuries suffered due to another person’s or entity’s negligence. The intent of a personal injury claim is to make the victim “whole” again. While no amount of money can return an injured person to their pre-accident state, compensation from a personal injury claim can provide needed assistance for personal, medical, and financial losses.
Personal Injury Compensation
The at-fault person’s or entity’s insurance company generally pays any personal injury damages award. Personal injury compensation may include, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Medical bills;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of future income;
- Property damage;
- Occupation therapy;
- Psychological counseling;
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of enjoyment of life; and
- Wrongful death expenses
Types of Personal Injury Accidents and Time Limit for Filing a Claim
Personal injury claims arise from different types of accidents. Several types of personal injury accidents take place every day in Jersey City, including:
- Car accidents;
- Truck accidents;
- Slip and fall accidents;
- Medical malpractice injuries; and
- Wrongful death.
While each of these accidents is unique and presents its own set of challenges, New Jersey requires victims to file most personal injury claims within two years of their injury date. If you or a loved one was a victim in a motor vehicle accident, speak with our Jersey City car accident attorneys as soon as possible. It is important to consult with a lawyer who has experience in your specific practice area.
What Damages Can Be Awarded to Injured Victims in Jersey City?
Damages is the word for financial compensation in personal injury law. If your lawyer succeeds in proving that someone else caused or significantly contributed to your injuries, you could obtain damages for several different types of losses. There are three main categories of damages under which all types of losses fall:
- Economic damages. Economic damages refer to the financial losses that you suffered from the accident, such as your medical bills, property damage and lost wages. Any money that your family has spent recovering from an accident in Jersey City could be included on your personal injury claim.
- Noneconomic damages. Noneconomic damages are all of the losses that do not involve money spent – the intangible or personal losses that you experience due to an accident or injury. They can range from humiliation and inconvenience to significant psychological trauma. Noneconomic damages are generally worth more in compensation with severe injuries.
- Punitive damages. While economic and noneconomic damages are awarded to make up for a victim’s losses, punitive damages are intended to punish a defendant for particularly wrongful acts, such as gross negligence. New Jersey law states that a trial judge must ascertain whether punitive damages are reasonable and justified in light of the circumstances.
Recognizing all of your damages is important in a personal injury case. Creating a comprehensive list of your losses is the only way to collect fair financial compensation from an insurance company or the courts for the full extent of your losses. An attorney can help you create a list of damages to submit in a demand letter to optimize your chances of obtaining maximum compensation.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Case in New Jersey Worth?
Knowing how much your personal injury case is worth can prevent you from accepting an inadequate settlement from an insurance provider. This is not a question that has a one-size-fits-all answer, however. The value of a personal injury claim can vary substantially from one case to the next based on the facts of each. The best way to determine the value of your case is by consulting with an attorney. An attorney can give you a comprehensive analysis of your claim.
That being said, you may be able to get an idea of how much your case is worth by understanding how the courts calculate economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are easier to calculate; add up all of the costs and bills related to your injury, then include your future foreseeable expenses based on your prognosis for recovery. Use medical bills, pay stubs, tax documents and property repair estimates to make this calculation.
Noneconomic damages are more difficult to calculate. These awards are based on the severity of the injury and how much it has impacted the victim. There are complex mathematical formulas that may be used to estimate your pain and suffering damages. For example, one formula multiplies the total amount in economic damages by a number that represents the gravity of the injury. In the end, however, the amount given to a plaintiff is up to the jury – making it hard to predict.
What Is the Statute of Limitations to File a Personal Injury Claim in New Jersey?
According to a law known as the statute of limitations, New Jersey Statutes Section 2A:14-2 states that except when otherwise provided by law, every action brought for an injury to a person caused by the neglect, omission or wrongful act of another must be commenced within two years. There are exceptions, however, for cases involving injured minors and government defendants. To learn the deadline in your particular case, call the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Our Jersey City personal injury lawyers will examine your case at no cost and will advise you of any specific requirements in pursuing your injury claim. At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., we work tirelessly to ensure you receive not only fair compensation but a sense of closure and justice.
Take your first step towards healing today; contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C.