Top Safety Tips When Driving Around Tractor-trailers
Semi-trucks, which are also referred to as tractor-trailers, often result in some of the most disastrous accidents on the road, resulting in catastrophic and fatal injuries. It is crucial for drivers to exercise more care and caution when driving near a tractor-trailer to avoid being involved in a serious collision.
Here are some safety tips you should keep in mind while on the road when driving near a semi-truck:
- Remember, trucks are substantially larger: Semi-trucks are larger and heavier than any passenger vehicle on the road, so remember that while you are driving alongside them. Stay in your lane and, if possible, avoid driving beside tractor-trailers for too long a time. Trucks are incredibly wide and will require the entire width of their lane to safely drive.
- Do not linger in their blind spots: Due to their size, trucks have bigger blind spots than other motor vehicles. Not sure if you are in a truck’s blind spot? If you cannot see its mirrors, it usually means the driver cannot see you either, so strive to remain visible whenever driving near a tractor-trailer.
- Pass with caution: Tractor-trailers typically drive at a slower speed for safety purposes, so if you end up behind one, you might want to pass it. However, when you pass a semi-truck, it is important to do so with caution. You should never cross a double yellow line and, when you do pass a truck, make sure to do it on the left, and avoid cutting the driver off if you plan to re-enter the same lane.
- Provide lots of room: Again, trucks are massive, so try to give them their space. Unless you are in bumper to bumper traffic and cannot easily change lanes, you should always avoid driving near a tractor-trailer.
- Be consistent in speed: When driving around or near tractor-trailers, drive at a safe and consistent speed that is appropriate for road and weather conditions.
Despite our best efforts to drive safely, accidents still happen. In the event that you are injured in a tractor-trailer accident that was caused by the driver’s negligence, you can take legal action to obtain compensation for your injuries, so make sure to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Schedule a Case Review with a Truck Accident Attorney Today!
At the Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C., our team of Hackensack truck accident attorneys will build a strong case on your behalf to help you recover compensation, which you will need to cover medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and more. Our legal team has the experience, knowledge, and abilities to help you through this difficult time.
Call us today at (201) 928-0300 to set up a consultation with a member of our team to discuss the details of your case. We provide free case evaluations and work on a contingency fee a basis, so you will not pay us a cent until we win your case.