Fatal Accidents on the Rise in New Jersey
A live-in domestic assistant for a Holmdel family was killed in a two-car accident in Monmouth County that also claimed the life of a six-month-old boy in her charge.l
Motor vehicle accident fatalities are on the rise in New Jersey, with 408 so far in 2011, compared to 377 for the same period in 2010, according to the New Jersey State Police.
Motor vehicle crashes are the top causes of fatal unintentional injuries, followed by falls and poisoning. But accidents can happen in any setting – at home, on the job, while shopping, or during recreational activities.
When an accident happens, relevant legal issues include:
- Negligence: did someone fail to use due care?
- Causation: did negligence cause the accident?
- Damages: did someone suffer a personal injury (including emotional injury) or property damage as a result of the accident?
If you or a family member have been involved in an accident, taking the following steps can protect you physically, legally, and financially:
- In the case of a vehicle accident, or any accident in a public place, notify the police immediately and stay on the scene until they arrive. Ask any other people involved in the accident, and any witnesses, to wait with you.
- If the accident takes place at a private business or residence, notify the owner or manager.
- In the case of a vehicle accident, write down the other driver’s name, address, phone number, license number, registration number, and proof of insurance. Ask witnesses for their names and phone numbers also.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage or injuries. If you don’t have a camera on your cell phone, you may want to carry an inexpensive disposable camera in your car.
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you don’t have obvious injuries. Soft tissue and brain injuries may not be apparent right away.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Consult an experienced accident attorney.
When you or a family member have been involved in an accident, contact the New Jersey personal injury Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Hasson, P.C. to discuss your rights and risks.